Friday, February 25, 2011

packing things up

What I truly love about capitalism is that when the free market no longer has a use for you the market lets you know. I got that news on February 18th. The goal for the CSA this year was 20 members. We needed to have at least ten by the 18th to meet the farms' obligations. We had five. The market has spoken. As I am writing this, refunds are going out to those five members.


I have no complaints; I have learned a great deal from this experience. I have met many amazing people and felt a level of involvement in the community that I have never known before. I have the greatest respect for the farmers that have successfully grown produce for CSA and market for many years. I was only able to make it for two-and-a-half very hard years. I tip my hat to the folks that have been doing it for more then two decades.


I wouldn't have made it as long as I did without the support of many wonderfully generous people who have lent financial, emotional, and physical support to the farm. First I would like to thank every CSA member for their support. The half dozen members of the micro CSA in 08, the pioneers who signed up in 09 when the farm was just taking shape, and last years' members who endured the drought with me. Thanks to all the other market vendors. I probably learned more from fellow growers than I ever learned in horticulture school. Special thanks goes out to Megan Marconyak who has been editing and contributing to this blog for the past year. She made the whole process so much easier and was always encouraging no matter the feedback the farm was receiving.


I do plan to continue growing for myself and my family and will continue to post here on occasion.


Thank you all,


Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment