Friday, November 5, 2010

Check Out RVAFOODIE

Through my adventures in Twitterverse I have come to know Jason Guard/aka RVA Foodie. If you are not currently following his blog Caramalized Opinions through RVAFOODIE.COM , I would highly recommend it. I have started to comment there on occasion. He tends to ask good questions.

Below you will find my comment on his most recent post about being a "foodie". Thank you all for your continued support of local agriculture and bio diversity.

When I was 16 I took a road trip up to Georgetown to see my first long distance girlfriend, who was visiting her aunt. During lunch some fresh shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano was served. This was my first experience with the cheese outside of the ubiquitous green can I had known over far too many spaghetti dinners. I guess I’ve been a foodie ever since.
The importance of bio diversity in agriculture can not be over stated. As a local grower, I can say with out doubt, that the rise in farmers markets and the locavore movement has been fueled by a holy trinity of Environmentalism, Health Consciousness, and Foodieisim. It’s a lot easier to get a fair market price, and thus be willing to grow, Broccoli Rabe when the customers know what Broccoli Rabe is. It takes foodies to provide a market for variety, whether that is for 8 kinds of salt, or 6 kinds of kale.

-FR

No comments:

Post a Comment